Sunday, November 23, 2008

Race Day in Arizona...

Race day dawned clear and cool. The water temps of 63 degrees made the initial plunge a bit shocking, but that wore off as we jockeyed for a space to start among the throngs. Space was at a premium, and my swim seemed a bit rough, with some pummeling happening as we all fought for a decent line along the buoys. Towards the end I was feeling pretty cold, so the steps to exit were a welcome sight. After a crappy transition due to a mass crowding the area, I finally got onto the bike, and shivered my way along. The cool air kept me shaking for a while, and finally at 25+ miles I could feel my left foot again. My Powertap seemed to have issues with bad readings( I knew I should have changed the batteries!), so I focused on keeping my Heart Rate in a range given to me by our Team performance director, Brett Petersen (Check him out at: www.petersenperformancelab.net, as he's great!). While the ride felt slow, the headwinds on the out and back loop we did 3 times were pretty tough. I ended up with a slow ride for me, but my energy stores seemed great and I needed to feel good on the run to make the trip back to Ironman a step in the right direction, as time off from getting hit by a car has taken a toll and I'm just feeling fit again. As I ran along paced by my perceived exertion, I was frankly waiting for the tough patch to hit me, as running's been slow to return to previous levels. 13, 15, 17 miles went by, and I felt fine, which was a nice surprise, as the run's almost all on concrete. My friend Andre passed by with some kind words on his way to a Kona qualifying performance, which helped pick me up a bit. The time passed pretty quickly, as I was very focused on my nutritional needs, which stayed solid. At 22 miles, I was feeling better than ever, so started picking up the effort a bit, which built through the ensuing 4+ miles. The crowd along the final 4 miles truly helped, as our race numbers with names on them caused many to cheer us by name. I felt as though I knew a lot more in Tempe than I actually did, and their voices were what fueled me to a strong finish. It was so nice feeling strong again, and driving to the line. While my time was a ways off what I have been accustomed to, I felt good about my progress on the road back, and now know that better times are just a bit away. I ended up 9th in the age group, and am focused on being back on the podium, which is within reach again. With the Team's help, I will reach Kona again; my dream and goal to return to the most amazing race in a magical place now feels within reach again. 
I do need to thank a number of people who have greatly affected my journey to the finish line. Debbie, my fiance, has been putting up with my training craziness in good humor and acceptance; Mom has always been my biggest fan and motivator, along with my family who is so dear to me. Mideast Team Elite has provided me with a needed shot in the arm, and just being chosen for this extremely prestigious group has given me pride and new life. Then the sponsors who have been so kind, and done so much.... and especially the Mideast Region USAT and Guy Petruzzelli, who went out on a limb and found a way to make this team happen. Thanks all for helping the dream stay alive!!!!!!

No comments: