Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Bike Felt Fast Today!


This was my last long weekend of training before my Ironman Arizona taper. Yesterday (Friday) was the day I had planned for my long ride, as the weather was looking good, and then I could spend a bit of time over the weekend doing other things. After loading the bike with all of the necessary calories and fluids, I headed out. As I rode, my legs were feeling dead and although I was going slowly, it seemed my previous days of training were catching up with me. I tried all of my tricks to bring the legs back, but it was not to be, so I headed home to recover and do the ride on Saturday. After downloading my Powertap and viewing, I realized what I had done in my haste to get out. The rear brake was rubbing so hard that 170 watts had only gotten me 14 miles per hour for an hour and a half! Now, I should be too embarrassed to post this, but I had to laugh, as sometimes we get so caught up in the moment that we miss the most obvious. Saturday I rode and had a great 100+ miles with the wheels turning well. 
Sunday was the long run, and my buddy Tony stayed over and we headed out to the local trails for the run. He set a tough early pace, and I was feeling the previous day's ride, but I loosened up and the park's beauty had me cruising. Tony peeled off after 90 minutes, and I enjoyed the trails for another hour+. Later in the day brought my second run, which went fine. Hopefully the run fitness is ok......as they say, the hay's in the barn.....

No comments: